Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

...Robert Frost...

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Work, work, work....

Work this term has been hectic. Earlier in the year I was sitting around wondering when the phone would ring, never knowing from one day to the next when I would be working. Now, I'm hanging out for a day off! At the beginning of the term I took a contract at a small school relieving for 5 weeks. This school would have to be my favourite school to teach at. Somewhere where you actually teach and not spend most of the day dealing with discipline and welfare issues. I had years 5 and 6 and I loved it. I did a unit on Antarctica which was lots of fun.



Plenty of opportunities for some great art lessons



Paper mache




Obligatory projects




But full time work brings the mounds of marking


I loved every minute of it and was a bit sad when it came to an end. Fortunately, I was able to move straight to another contract at another, much smaller country school, only 34 students. This one is 4 days a week for the rest of the year. A tougher cliental. A completely different approach to learning is needed here. These kids need a completely hands approach to learning, lots of practical experiences.

I had taught here last year for a few days and have to admit, found it a greater challenge than anywhere I have ever taught. In fact, I felt completely disillusioned with teaching an seriously considered never teaching again. So, it was with much trepidation that I accepted the contract to work there. I just felt that I couldn't be bothered any more with the attitude and behaviour issues. Why did I say yes? Because I couldn't say no. But I have been pleasantly surprised. No, they are not angels, things have not changed that dramatically. But a few of the key disruptive students have left. What a difference that has made. After five weeks there, I actually feel like I have worked out how to relate to them, how to keep them under control. Who knows, by the end of the year I may actually not want to leave. I shouldn't speak too soon...

Right now though, I'm on spring break and couldn't be happier about that!

No comments: