Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

...Robert Frost...

Saturday, March 20, 2010

So we survived the worst storm Melbourne has seen in a century by being busy trying on Daisy Duke shorts. How's that. I can't believe we missed it. We waded in sometimes shin deep water all the way back to the apartment. I have to tell you, it is very lucky I have a friend as reliable as J. Believing it to be a beautiful sunny day as I dressed in the morning, I wore my new bra (that J had bought me in Adelaide as I couldn't source them in my new home town. I was feeling particularly perky which made me realise I should replace my bras more often than every 5 years). No problems there. Lovely white t-shirt which is all well and great until you are walking home in the aftermath of the worst storm Melbourne has seen in a century. I kept asking J if all was in order and she kept reassuring me it was. But, alas, we arrived home and the mirror told me a different story! There is even photographic evidence which I am considering going to court over in order to prevent it from EVER appearing on J's facebook page.....

Drenched and numb from wading through water that resembled glacier water we rafted in in Alaska due to the hail, we arrived back at the apartment to discover that there was no hot water and only a tin of chicken soup for dinner. Not to be deterred, we dried out shoes in the oven, ate chicken soup by candlelight and got ready to see Mamma Mia without a shower. The flooding had closed a lot of the streets, but we were determined to make it there anyway. If we couldn't catch a taxi, we'd walk. We were on a mission. Fortunately we were able to catch a taxi not far from the apartment and we were able to get through.

. After the big event, we walked through Chinatown and back to the apartment. Then it was a couple of hours of talk, chocolate and bananas at 2am and stretching exercises (don't ask as I'm not sure I could explain). And that was it. Sunday home again and the 4 days in Melbourne was over. Back to reality. I mean I love my reality, the kids and all, but I miss the friendships I left behind in Adelaide. As I reflect, it's not just the Adelaide friendships I miss, but the many from our various residential locations. I know there are friends here as well that I will grow to love as much, but still, there is something missing. I guess it just gives me an excuse for lots more Melbourne weekends!

No comments: