Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

...Robert Frost...

Saturday, April 9, 2011

After the week that's been, I grateful to be celebrating Mr B's 16th birthday today. Whilst he may have become a mono syllabic teenager who has to be encouraged to speak in sentences that contain more than a grunt and at least a subject and predicate, it really is a blessing to have him around. I am grateful he has caused us no trouble, I am grateful that he has adjusted to the constantly new situations around him well and I am grateful for the person he is becoming.





So what do you do on your 16th birthday? You head off to the RTA to get your Learner's permit of course! He managed to pass his exams and he drove home with the Major with a grin from ear to ear. Completely different story later, however, when we all went out together. The Major in front again instructing with myself in the passenger seat behind Mr B. I honestly thought I was going to have a panic attack. He's had a beginners permit for all of like 10 mins and we are driving through relatively busy town traffic. Anything over 20kms an hour was way too fast for my liking, trying to turn on the outside lane of a roundabout as a semi trailer is going through almost caused a heart attack and changing lanes way too quickly had me planning my obituary. The Major assured me that if he can teach students to fly, then he could teach Mr B to drive successfully. I just didn't feel so sure as he proceeded to read a text message. Keep your eyes on the student not the phone!!!! It's okay he says- no it's not I say- be quite yells Mr B- don't yell Mr B. concentrate on the road- you're distracting me Mum- don't answer me back- SLOW DOWN!!!





Okay, so I may not have coped well at all, my heart was racing and I could barely breathe. It was agreed that Mr B's driving lessons would be best done without me in the car. Just he and his dad. Maybe after he's had more experience I'll be able to get back in. He has to log 120 hrs. It's going to be a long journey...

No comments: