Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

...Robert Frost...

Thursday, April 14, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

When we lived interstate, almost every school holidays was spent visiting 'home'. Home has and always will be the farm where Mum and Dad live. They have been there for almost 43 years now and everything about there holds so many memories. Now we live locally and with three almost all teenage children, it has actually become hard to visit as weekends are so busy. So now we have two weeks of school holidays. We are heading back to Adelaide this weekend, so between dental visits and dog vaccinations today was the day to go 'home'.




I love being in the comforts of where I grew up. I love the familiarity of it all. I love Mum's cooking. I love the farm fresh air. I love the freedom of being outdoors. I love the lifestyle it offers my children. But as I get older I am also beginning to see it on a more nostalgic light. I wonder how much longer it will be before this situation has to change, before Mum and Dad decide they've had enough. This farm and way of life is the core of my being. So I'm trying to soak it up.


The kids ride their motorbikes, collect eggs, explore, help with farm jobs and just relish the space.


I have lived away from the farm for 23 years now, but I'm still a country girl at heart. I may have lived in large towns or cities since but you know what they say- you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.


No comments: