Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

...Robert Frost...

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Wake Up Call

So, while I am having a few melodramatic moments about my children growing up and myself getting older, there is nothing like reality to bring you back to earth with a thud. Sad news, tragic news. Suddenly everything I was humphing about seems trivial. A friend whose son died 2 1/2 yrs ago aged nearly 10, has just been diagnosed with the same condition and needs a transplant. She's just turned 40. Suddenly being 41 and relatively healthy is a great option for me. A cousins whose three daughters were involved in a tragic accident- one deceased, one critical and one suffering from an unbearable burden of guilt. Another unrelated girl was killed as well. Wouldn't I rather celebrate the blessing of another year of life a birthday brings than this?
I'm sorry that I need someone's else grief to snap me out of my self imposed stupor. It just doesn't seem right.

No comments: