Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

...Robert Frost...

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Memories

Here's the story, of a lovely lady, Who was bringing up three very lovely girls...... oops, wrong story!

Let's start again.

Here's the story, of a lady, who is bringing up three very lovely children, works, and no longer has enough time to do all the things she'd really like to be doing.

Just a typical Mum story really.

Once I had so much time to indulge in quilting, sewing, stitching and other crafty activities. But those days seem like a very distant memory now. However, I remain optimistic that I may again find a spare minute to indulge and keep adding new projects to my sewing table. Hence the reason it looks like this:

Hmmm, that's just the table. There's also under the table. And in the cupboard in the spare room. And on the shelf in my wardrobe. And there may or may not be a bag of fabric in the garage. It's out of control. There may or may not be a bag under the table with three half made skirts it that have been that way for 3 years. Or is it 4? There may or may not be at least 6 half done quilts that are patiently awaiting completion, one of them for maybe 10 years.

A very sad state of affairs.

So, I am determined to start finishing things. Now that I don't have much time. Actually, this has been my resolution for about 3 years now, but this time it's different. Not sure how, but it just is.

First on the list- a memory quilt. I had a bag of clothes that belonged to my friend's son who died 3 years ago. He was almost 10. I have had the clothes for about a year and I needed to get the quilt done. I selected the most suitable shirts, decided on a simple design and then procrastinated and procrastinated and procrastinated. I thought about it, googled other memory quilts, thought about it some more. Making that first cut was hard. These were his shirts and I had to get it right. In the end I had to make myself do it and just get on with it.

Simple squares that highlighted the shirts which held the memories. A school shirt, pyjamas, shirts from travels.

Before he died, the starlight foundation made over his bedroom and I used the doona fabric from that makeover as the backing fabric. A pocket from the doona was also sewn onto the back which houses his 'blankie'.

A last minute decision was made to drive to Toowoomba to deliver the quilt last weekend. It seemed like such special cargo and it was quite a relief to hand it over as I felt it had taken me way too long to finish it.

Toowoomba was at it's beautiful best. I do love this city. Not just the aesthetics of it, but the people as well. They are my memories.

The jacaranda in bloom



Church

One of many previous homes

The school all 3 of the kids began their schooling at

But life moves on I guess.

No comments: