Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

...Robert Frost...

Friday, July 13, 2012

A Few Days Away

Last year we had bit of an incident with the hot water system. As a result, the floor boards in our entrance way needed repair. Well, they have been repaired, twice. But the results were not good. They needed to be done again so because we can't walk on them for a couple of days, the kids and I decided to head away for a few days. We only had about three days so we didn't want to go too far away, so we settled on Newcastle. It had been at least 10 years since I had been there and other than a quick school excursion for Ben, the kids hadn't either.


What really surprised me about this mini break, was just how much I enjoyed it. Leading up to it I kept thinking that maybe the effort for a few days away just wasn't worth it. But I'm so glad we did. Three teenagers with their mum. Could have been a disaster. But they genuinely enjoyed it. They got along well, they didn't complain about any of the things we did, they laughed, tolerated my need to take a million photos and so on and so on.
The weather was perfect, a beautifully mild, sunny day. So we decided to go on a 5km coastal walk which was absolutely spectacular.




What was really surprising was just how happy the kids were doing simple things.




I came home feeling very blessed by the children I have. And grateful that they don't mind hanging out with their mum. I know every mum feels the same way, but still......

The bad news, the floorboards don't look any better than before. Now to decide if I will complain and have them done for the FOURTH time!! Or just be grateful that I have floors at all....





2 comments:

Googy Girl said...

I thought all the pictures looked familiar ......

Lesley said...

Is this your home? It really is a beautiful part of the world!