Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

...Robert Frost...

Friday, February 4, 2011

I May Have a Problem.....

Friday afternoons are crazy in our house. The boys go straight to cricket after school, play till around 7, then all three head to youth group. The juggle comes with picking them up, racing around between two games, working out tea and delivering them to youth on time. But once they are there, I can come home and relax. A cup of tea or chardonnay (depending on the mood) and it's time to settle down to Escape to the Country and 60 minute makeover. Perfect. It used to be Midsommer Murders and I loved that too.

I am grateful that I live in an era of amazing communication. It sure makes the world a smaller place. About midway through last year, I had bit of a down patch. It just hit me how my friendships with Adelaide friends had to change. I did get back to Adelaide twice, Met J in Melbourne and Bali, and J came to visit here once. So, really, that was a huge effort! But, despite that, I realised that's what it would always be. Visits, which would surely not be so frequent in the future. Not girl's afternoons, not theatre trips together, not a casual Sunday lunch on a whim. And what about my other friends who were going to find it much harder to come for a visit? That made my heart very sad for a while. That is not going to change, so I had to come up with a solution. When I got my Iphone in june, Hubby (from here on known as The Major) put me on a $1000 a month plan. People joked, people jested, but little did they know! I wasn't really sure what $1000 a month meant, exactly how much talk time or how many texts that was.

Well, I got the word the other night. I had gone over the plan by $120. $1120 worth of calls and texts in one month. The Major equated that to 35 texts a day. I was shocked!! Shocked because I know there were days where there were many more than that, so I was suddenly relieved I only went over by $120! Some days we have sent 50 txts, called each other several times and skyped called as well. Do I have a problem?? Am I addicted to the phone/computer?? Surely not, Surely it is just the depth of friendship that J and I have! We now have coffee together over skype, watch the tennis texting each other with our opinions, call each other to let them know what our day held, the list goes on. We know what each other is up to at any time and laugh at things that are going on together all the time! I think it is rare to find someone with whom you click so wonderfully well. We have the same sense of humour, daughters at the same stage in life, a love of similar things ( which may or may not include coffee,chocolate and Abba) and we just laugh and laugh and laugh. What more could I ask for!! So, if I have to work an extra day a month to cover the phone bill, so be it. It is worth every cent. Life is about relationships, and they are invaluable. There will always be a hole in my heart that I can't spend more time with Adelaide friends on a more consistent basis, but for now, I am so grateful that I live in this world of amazing communication.

No comments: