Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

...Robert Frost...

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Weather Chaos

It has been absolutely scorching here for a couple of weeks now. Today it was 38 degrees celsius, last week on Australia day it was 42 degrees. I am battling to keep the garden going. It is very heat stressed. And to think that I thought it was too hot in Adelaide! Oh, the irony of it!But really, I have air conditioning and we have a pool, so how much can I really complain. A few dead plants maybe that can be easily replaced. Nothing compared to what is happening around the rest of our beautiful country. Queensland has just been devastated by the most incredible floods that have claimed lives and cost some their livelihood. Those floods continued through NSW and into Victoria. Now Queensland in bunkering down for Cyclone Yasi, a destructive force the size of Tasmania, if not bigger, that will hit tonight. It just all seems like madness! It really is difficult to believe. We were living in California when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and the scale of that disaster was difficult to comprehend. Cyclone Yasi is of similar grading, so praying hard it will not have the same results.

It has had me thinking today about the extremities of this country we live in. It really is such a beautiful, blessed country, but we have such extremes. Last year I taught to my class Dorothea MacKellar's "My Country". Those words written so long ago remain true.














We have been fortunate enough to have seen a lot of this beautiful country. With the exception of the recent Toowoomba flood photo and the Black Saturday bushfire photo, all other photos are from our journeys.

1 comment:

The Moerks said...

Mother Nature certainly has been throwing her all at poor old Queensland hasn't she.
Your photos are wonderful, they fit the poem so well.